Red Pepper + Carrot Soup
When you’re short on time and want to make a healthy plant based meal, soup is always a great option. This one calls for a few simple ingredients and takes less than 30 minutes to make. It is super nutritious, rich in fibre + plant based protein, and is a great meal option for fussy little ones too.
Carrots and peppers are both excellent sources of vitamin A and contain a good variety of powerful antioxidants that help protect and keep our cells healthy. The red lentils add a good amount of plant protein and fibre, making it filling and great for your digestion, which is key to properly absorbing all the nutrients and boosting your overall immune function.
- 1-2 tsp avocado oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 125 ml (1/4 cup) red lentils
- 350 gm carrots, sliced
- 300 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- pinch smoked paprika (optional)
- salt + pepper
- Add avocado to a large pot and saute onion over medium heat until soft and translucent. Add garlic and stir, then leave for another minute
- Add all the remaining ingredients and leave to simmer for 20 minutes or so, until the lentils are completely cooked and soft.
- Pour into a blender (or you can use a stick blender) and blend until smooth. Add more seasoning as needed.
- Pour into bowls and serve topped with fresh coriander, sunflower seeds & black pepper – or any toppings of your own choosing.
Tip for Little Ones…
This also makes a great dinner for children and can be served with rice or pasta to make a well rounded and healthy dinner. I especially like serving this with red lentil or chickpea pasta for my kids, which add extra protein and makes the soup into more of a pasta sauce. Adding fun toppings like, frozen corn + peas or toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds (aka “sprinkles”) is a great way to help encourage them to try something new.