Comfort Soup With Crusty Rye
This comfort soup is perfect for cool days when all you feel like is something warming and simple. Red lentils are perfect for soup as the almost completely disappear when cooked and add a great amount of plant protein to a meal. Lentils are also an amazing source of fibre, making this soup satisfying and great for digestive health. The combination of sweet potato and romano peppers is great and once blended this comes out super creamy. Feel free to top it off with chilli, parmesan (or a vegan alternative) chives and fresh coriander which will add great flavour as well as a nice pop of colour.
Serves 4 people
- 1 tsp butter/ghee/oil
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger root (about 25 gm/1 oz)
- 2 medium carrots (200 gm)
- 1 sweet potato (200 gm)
- 1 medium zucchini,
- 2 romano peppers
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) dry red lentils
- ½-1 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock
- Fresh chives, chilli flakes + fresh parmesan to top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Split the romano peppers open by cutting them length wise and discard the stem and seeds. Cut the zucchini length wise and place them in the oven to roast for 25 minutes until fragrant and soft.
- While the veggies are roasting, heat a large pot and melt a little butter or oil. Sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat until soft – about 5 minutes. Then add ginger and leave for another minute or so.
- Add in chopped carrot, sweet potato, vegetable stock, lentils and spices and leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the lentils completely cooked.
- Once the vegetables in the oven are roasted, place them in a blender (or if using a hand held blender put them in a bowl).
- Once the soup mix is cooked, add that to the blender as well and blend until smooth (or as smooth as you want it). Alternatively you can use a handheld blender as well and blend it in the pot.
- Top with fresh chives, chilli flakes, parmesan and crusty bread.