Butternut Squash Soup
Serves 4 people
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 500 gm butternut squash, chopped
- 100 gm carrots, chopped (approx. 2 medium carrots)
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1-2 tsp Thai red chilli paste (alternatively you can use 1-2 tsp chilli powder/flakes instead)
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp coriander seeds, ground
- ½ tsp fresh grated ginger
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Melt coconut oil in a saucepan and sauté garlic and onion for a few minutes until the onions become translucent. Then add the freshly grated ginger and give it another stir.
- Add the butternut squash, carrots, vegetable stock, bay leaf, thyme, red curry paste and coriander seeds and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and let it simmer until the vegetables are soft.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, take out the bay leaf and add the coconut milk. Pour the soup into your blender and puree on high for 1 to 2 minutes, until completely smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and warm it over low heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, pour the soup into bowls and garnish with chilli flakes and pumpkin seeds (optional)