Simple, healthy and takes less than 30 minutes to make, this broccoli soup has a nice and creamy texture, is filling and a great way to give your body lots of green vegetables regardless of the season. It is light and versatile and I like dressing it up with toasted seeds, sliced spring onion & fresh coriander.
Broccoli is an incredible vegetable, and has long been praised for its powerful nutrient density. Broccoli is packed with filing fibre, vitamins and minerals and also contain an impressing variety of beneficial antioxidants, which essentially work to repair and protect our body at a cellular level. Broccoli also aids and promotes healthy digestion, and has long been known to support the body’s natural detoxification systems.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or other oil suitable for high heat)
- 1 broccoli head (500 gm)
- 1 courgette (300 gm)
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Salt + pepper
- Add avocado oil to a large pot and saute onion over medium heat until soft and translucent. Add garlic and stir, then leave for another minute or two.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and leave to simmer for 10 minutes or so, until the broccoli is just cooked (but not overcooked)
- Pour into a blender (or you can use a stick blender) and blend until completely smooth. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Pour into bowl, top with spring onion, fresh coriander & black pepper and serve.
Note: For kids I like to serve this topped with brown rice and a little coriander mixed in. You can also do pasta and especially a lentil pasta gives it a nice protein boost.