Plant Based Cashew Cheese
A plant based cheese board is a perfect idea for summer get togethers with friends or a date night in – and pairs really well with a glass of rosé. The cashew “cheese” is super delicious, completely dairy free and made from cashew nuts and a few other simple ingredients. If this sounds intimidating please believe me, it really is not. The recipe for this “cheese” is below and requires only a few ingredients and a good blender. You can assemble your board to feature your personal favourite vegetables, crackers and other crudités and be all set with a healthy, fun and different idea for your next social evening with friends.
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts (unroasted + unsalted)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs (optional but delicious)
- Soak the cashew nuts in water overnight (or at least 2 hrs)
- Rinse and drain the nuts and place in a high speed blender
- Add remaining ingredients and blend on high until the “cheese” is completely smooth. Stir in the mixed herbs using a spoon.
- Scoop all the cheese out and into a small glass bowl (preferably something with a lid)
- Serve straight away or place in the fridge where it will continue to harden up over the next hours.
- Store in fridge for up to 5 days.