CHOCOLATE NUT SPREAD
This chocolate nut butter is like a healthier alternative to Nutella – but without all the refined sugars and processed oils. It is very simple, decadent and best of all, made from all-natural ingredients. The combination of almonds and hazelnuts is creamy and delicious, and especially so when mixed with the cacao powder and vanilla bean.
Raw cacao powder is full of flavonoids that act as powerful antioxidants that work to protect our body cells from ageing and disease. Research from Cornell University in America confirms the potency of antioxidants in cacao, deeming it one of the top natural food sources of antioxidants. More specifically, the study revealed that cacao has nearly twice the antioxidant content of red wine, and up to three times more antioxidant activity than green tea.
Additional to antioxidants, raw cacao is also a great source of magnesium, an energy mineral and electrolyte, as well as sulphur, which is associated with strong nails, shiny hair and a healthy liver.
- 1 cup almonds (raw or roasted)
- ¾ cup roasted hazelnuts
- ¼ cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp vanilla beans or vanilla paste/extract
- 1-2 tbsp coconut sugar (or honey/maple syrup)
- ⅛-1/4 tsp sea salt (optional for those who love salted chocolate)
- Place almonds and hazelnuts in vitamix/food processor and process for a couple of minutes, scraping down the sides as necessary. The nuts will first become flour-like whereafter they should start to clump together.
- Add vanilla, coconut sugar, sea salt & raw cacao powder and continue to process until you reach the desired consistency (I like to process mine until it is almost liquid like)
- Transfer to glass jar or other container and stir in the chopped hazelnuts to give it a crunchy texture.
- Store at room temperature or in the fridge.