These chia crackers are made with just a few simple ingredients and are a perfect homemade cracker. They are addictive, nutritious and satisfying all at the same time and incorporate chia seeds, which are so versatile and easy to work with, while also adding some amazing nutritional qualities.
Nutritionally these crackers are high in fibre, omega 3 fatty acids and plant-based protein, while low in carbohydrate and free of sugar. As a result they are satisfying, great for digestion and will keep you feeling full for longer as the fibre and healthy fats will keep your blood sugar levels steady.
These crackers are great for bringing on the go, for wine & nibble nights, mezze platters and for kids too.
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup oats (gluten free, or buckwheat flakes)
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 cups filtered water
- ¼ cup unrefined wholegrain spelt flour (for gluten free substitute use buckwheat flour)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 150C/300F
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well using a spoon
- Let the mixture sit for about 30 mins as this allows the chia seeds to absorb some of the moisture, making it a thick dough
- Spread the dough out on a piece of non-stick parchment paper. Place a second piece of parchment paper on top of the first one and roll the dough as thin as possible using a rolling pin. Getting the right thickness can be a little tricky as the chia seeds can be quite gooey. Using a good non-stick parchment paper is essential.
- When the dough is rolled thin, remove the top piece of parchment paper carefully to avoid messing up the thin dough.
- Cut the dough into small squares using a knife or pizza cutter
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and crisp
- Let them cool for 5 mins before breaking them up into small squares. Then serve.