Vegan Caesar Salad
This salad is so simple and delicious, mostly because of the dressing. Made from sunflower seeds, this dressing is dairy free and oil free, but still very creamy in consistency and perfect for having on hand for any salad. You can add any other vegetables or top with grilled chicken for a tasty and light meal.
I topped with these crispy chickpeas, which add the same crispy touch as croutons, but offer much more satisfaction and nutritional value compared to regular croutons. If you have kids, you may just find that the crispy chickpeas go down a treat and prove a great and healthy snack to have on hand. Keep in mind that they are usually best and most crispy when consumed within a few hours of cooking.
Serves 2 people
- 1 head of romaine, washed + chopped
- 30 gm (1 oz) sunflower seeds
- 100 ml (approx 3 oz) water
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- ½-1 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½-1 tsp salt
- pinch pepper
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F)
- In a bowl, toss the chickpeas with spices and oil until well combined. Spread on a tray lined with non-stick parchment paper and place in the oven for 35-40 mins until completely crispy (note baking time will vary depending on your oven, so keep checking)
- While the chickpea croutons are baking, rinse and chop romaine lettuce and place in a large bowl.
- To prepare the dressing, place all dressing ingredients in a high speed blender and blend on high until completely creamy. Add salt/pepper to taste. Pour some of the dressing over the lettuce and toss to coat.
- Once the chickpeas are crispy, remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes. Then sprinkle them over the salad and serve immediately. Leave the rest to snack on later!