Kale Salad With Mango Vinaigrette
The vinaigrette is super fresh and perfect for any light salad. I’ve had it mostly with kale but you can use it to dress any type of leafy greens of your preference. It is a simple combination of fresh mango, apple cider vinegar, garlic and a little olive oil and it is seriously delicious. The entire salad is quick and easy to throw together and is great served with some protein such as feta cheese or grilled fish or chicken.
KALE HEALTH BENEFITS
Kale is super filling and contains an amazing variety of antioxidants, including a potent dose of the antioxidant vitamins, C, A & E. All these fight the damaging effects of free radicals and help prevent oxidative damage and ageing to our cells – including our skin cells. Kale also contains calcium, magnesium, vitamin K and vitamin B6 and contains more iron than beef when comparing calorie to calorie!
A powerful detox food, kale effectively supports the functioning of our liver and its ability to help transport toxins and other chemicals out of the body. The reason kale helps promote detox activity is attributed to its high levels of sulphur and fiber as well as substances called isothiocyanates. These isothiocyanates regulate and boost detoxification activity in our cells by supporting what is called phase I & phase II detoxification processes.
For those of you who struggle to enjoy kale, I dare you to try this salad! If you find the texture of kale too coarse, try massaging it with a bit of olive oil before serving it as this helps soften the texture a lot. Simply rub it with olive oil for a minute or two and then dress with the mango vinaigrette.
- 4 cups curly kale, chopped
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- ½ cup mango, cubed
- ¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds (optional)
- ½ cup mango
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- Wash and chop the kale and place in a large bowl. Chop Spanish onion into thin strips and combine with the kale. Mix well.
- Place all the ingredients for the mango vinaigrette in a food processor or high speed blender and blend until completely smooth. Add more salt & pepper to taste if needed.
- Pour some of the mango vinaigrette over the kale salad and combine well with your hands.
- Top off the salad with fresh mango pieces and roasted sunflower seeds.
- Leave in fridge to chill for 10 and add a little cracked pepper before serving.