Chopped Salad + Peanut Dressing
This fresh crunchy salad, dressed in a spicy Asian peanut dressing and topped with toasted cashew nuts, has quickly become our favourite Saturday night dinner options. And it has replaced our tendency to order in and rivals take-out in both flavour and enjoyment! So since Autumn is fast approaching here, I thought it was about time to share, in efforts to try and hold on to colourful, summer-looking meals for just a liiittle longer. We love throwing this together and eating it out of cosy bowls in the couch while catching up or watching a movie. It’s healthy and simple, and the dressing is divine! However, if you’re not a fan of peanuts, the dressing can be made with almond or cashew butter instead too.
I love that this is such a light meal, but if you’re after more substance you can use the salad as filling for rice paper rolls to make your own summer rolls and the dressing as dipping sauce.. DIY take out?! Using the wraps is a great way to get raw veggies into kids too and makes for a fun (albeit messy) ‘self-assemble’ dinner option.
Serves 3-4 people
- 2 baby gem lettuce, roughly chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and thinly sliced
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 2 handfuls cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 romano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 100 gm (2 heaped cups) snow peas (mange tout)
- 2 carrots, sliced with a mandolin slicer
- 100 gm fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 tbsp peanut butter (or almond or cashew butter)
- 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp tamari sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 100 gm roughly chopped cashew nuts, toasted
- Chop all the salad ingredients and toss together in a large bowl.
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients and whisk together or shake till smooth in a glass jar with lid.
- Toast cashew nuts on a dry pan over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Serve salad on plates, dress and top off with cashew nuts.