Asian Summer Salad
This takes me back to all my travel adventures through Asia and the flavour reminds me of all the beach restaurants we used to eat at, typically while sitting in plastic chairs planted in the sand overlooking the ocean.
The vinaigrette dressing brings a great flavour to the simple mix of raw vegetables while the fresh mango adds a hint of exotic summer. In case you hadn’t noticed, I am all about adding nuts and seeds to my salads, and in this case I love the salty crunch the tamari roasted almond flakes add.
Toasted sesame seed oil is so tasty and contains calcium, manganese, iron, zinc and magnesium and effectively promotes healthy skin, vascular function, and healthy bones. Its high concentration of powerful antioxidants makes it very shelf stable and resistant to rancidity and heat, making it an ideal oil for cooking and frying.
Serves 2 people
- 2 cups kale, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 30 gm raisins
- ½ cup mango, cubed
- 30 gm almond flakes
- ½ tsp tamari sauce
Asian Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- salt pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp honey/agave
- pinch minced ginger (optional)
- Warm up a pan over medium high heat. Place almond flakes and tamari sauce on the pan and roast the almonds for a couple of minutes until fragrant. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- While the almonds are cooling, chop all the raw vegetables and combine in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl (or in a blender) whisk together all the ingredients for the Asian vinaigrette dressing and combine until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix until all the vegetables are covered.
- Sprinkle the tamari roasted almonds on top just before serving.