Hearty Lentil Bolognese
This is such a comfort meal. Rich in colour and flavour, this vegetarian dish is bursting with vegetables and is one of those versatile dishes that you can easily re-create several nights in a row – be it as filling in tacos/tortillas or jacket potatoes, as a vegetarian spaghetti bolognese, or in a lasagna.
Serves 4 people
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 250 gm (1 cup) red lentils
- 2 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 5-6 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 400 gm (1 can) tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1-2 tsp coconut sugar
- 650 ml water/vegetable stock (in which case you may not need as much salt)
- Nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese to top
- Pasta – any type (I typically go for a brown rice pasta or buckwheat spaghetti)
- Heat oil in large pot (I like using a dutch oven) and saute onion for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic, carrot, celery and leek and cook until all the vegetables are soft. About 5 minutes
- Add lentils, tomatoes, water/stock and herbs + spices and combine with a spoon. Lower heat and leave to simmer for 45-50 minutes, checking on it every now and then.
- Add seasoning if needed. Once done, serve with pasta and top with a little fresh grated parmesan (or nutritional yeast) and basil or parsley leaves.