SPELT BANANA BREAD
This spelt banana bread is the perfect autumn treat and is the perfect blend of healthy and traditional. It is incredibly moist and decadent, and has that amazing scent of fall spice, which will spread throughout your entire house while baking in the oven.
This banana bread calls for unrefined whole grain spelt flour. Spelt is an ancient grain related to wheat that has a great nutty flavour. Compared to traditional wheat flours, spelt offers a wider array of nutrients, has more fibre and is much easier on the digestive system since it has a relatively low gluten content. It also has around 20% more protein and up to 65% more amino acids than traditional wheat flours, making it a perfect and very nutritious alternative to regular wheat flours.
This loaf is primarily sweetened with banana as well as just a few spoonfuls of honey. The cinnamon adds a great warmth and also promotes healthy blood sugar levels by helping the body metabolise sugar more effectively, leading to reduced insulin levels.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 large organic free range eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil (or extra virgin coconut oil)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 130 gm (1 cup + 2 tbsp) unrefined whole grain spelt flour (can be substituted for oat flour)
- 45 gm (1½ oz) cashew nuts, chopped
- 45 gm (1½ oz) walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 170°C (340°F)
- Line a loaf tin with parchment paper or lightly oil and dust with flour (any type), shaking out any excess.
- Whisk together eggs and bananas until a smooth consistency forms
- Add olive oil, lemon juice & honey to the mixture and combine well before adding all the dry ingredients as well.
- Fold in chopped cashews and walnuts with a spatula and pour the mixture into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm with a cup of hot tea or coffee.