Raw Chocolate Brownies
These raw chocolate brownies have all the rich chocolate flavour, but without the mad sugar rush and other processed ingredients. Sweetened with natural and gooey dates, these brownies are vegan, gluten, grain and dairy free and the perfect way to naturally satisfy a sweet tooth. You can make them as large or small as you prefer and store them in the fridge or freezer depending on how hard you like them. This also means they are a great dessert to make ahead of time if you’re ever pressured for time.
The raw cacao is the ingredients that gives them a rich chocolate flavour, and is also a nutritional superpower when it comes to its high content of antioxidants. These antioxidants help protect our body cells from ageing and damage – and therefore can help protect against a variety of diseases. The walnuts contain high amounts of omega 3 fats, which are important for our health as they help facilitate the production of hormones and feel-good transmitters, like dopamine and serotonin. These healthy fats are also amazing for our skin, hair & nails, and helps keep our skin looking supple.
- 150 gm (about 20 dates) soft pitted Medjool dates (if using a less soft type of date you may need more water)
- 3 tbsp (about 20 gm) raw cacao powder (or cocoa)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2-3 tsp water
- 150 gm (1½ cup) walnuts
- 30 gm (1 ounce) pistachio nuts, shelled
- 3 tbsp roughly chopped walnuts or roasted hazelnuts (save for the end)
- Place walnuts and pistachio nuts in food processor and process until finely ground. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Place dates, cacao powder, sea salt and water in food processor and process until it reaches a thick sticky consistency. Add more water if necessary
- Add the walnut and pistachio mixture and process until well combined. You should now have a thick cake sticky mixture that easily sticks together. (if it doesn’t hold together well, add another tsp of water and process again).
- Transfer brownie mixture to a bowl and add the chopped hazelnuts. Combine with you hands.
- Press the mixture into a square tupperware or glass bowl, making sure it is even in thickness.
- Place in the freezer or fridge for at least 30 mins before serving as the brownies are much easier to cut when cold.
- Cut into squares and drizzle with cacao powder and hazelnuts. Serve with coconut cream and/or fresh berries.