PISTACHIO + ALMOND STUFFED DATES
For as long as I can remember, homemade confectionary has been a Christmas tradition in our family, and I am determined to continue this tradition. These pistachio stuffed dates are a great addition to the Christmas confectionary table and is natural alternative to the heavily processed sugar laden sweets. The salted pistachio + almond mixture paired with the sweet medjool dates is simply divine. Add to that a hint of orange and a little dark chocolate, and you have a truly amazing and all natural Christmas candy that is not only delicious, but cosy and easy to make. For smaller bites, you can halve the dates completely and stuff them like little boats.
Makes 8 dates
- 8 medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup pistachio nuts
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1-2 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp orange zest (OPTIONAL)
- sea salt to taste (I used around ¼ tsp)
- 30 gm (1 oz) dark chocolate (I used a 70% dark)
- extra coconut to decorate
- Place the pistachio nuts and desiccated coconut in a small food processor and process until chopped finely, but not quite as fine as a nut flour.
- Transfer the pistachio mixture to a small bowl and add almond flour, honey, orange zest (if using) and salt. Combine well using a spoon or your hands.
- Use a hand to press the mixture together in small clumps. If they mixture is too crumbly and does not stick together, add a little more honey or almond butter.
- Slice open the top of the dates in a lengthways cut and stuff them with the pistachio mixture, using as much or as little as you like.
- Next melt the chocolate in a double boiler (or microwave).
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the dates, followed by a sprinkle of coconut.
- Place the dates in the fridge, allowing the chocolate to harden.
- Serve and enjoy.