These chocolatey snacks was creatively named by my son – and the name stuck. And now that’s what everyone around here calls them. It’s like they’re part of our family, and they are the epitome of the word “treat” to our kids.
This recipe is one of the simplest ever. Featuring just a few natural ingredients, they are a healthier alternative to many other sweets and taste just as good as your regular chocolate bar if you ask me. Made from three basic ingredients; dates, nuts and coconut, they are free from refined sugars but packed with health boosting natural fibre and healthy fats. Though dates are naturally sweet and rich in sugars, they also have a nutrient profile that is far superior to most other natural sweeteners and are packed with fibre, which helps slow the absorption of sugar and therefore has minimal impact on your blood sugar levels.
I love making these for people who assume that eating healthy and kicking fake sugars to the curb is boring and hard. These are hard not to love, and they are great to have on hand for when you need a little something sweet.
- 100 gm (3½ oz) soft dates (it is very important they are soft – Medjool dates or Deglet Noir are best)
- 100 gm (3½ oz) nuts (I prefer a mix of hazelnuts and almonds)
- 50 gm (1½ oz) coconut (flakes or shredded coconut)
- pinch sea salt
- 3 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and process until the mixture is thick and sticky and sticks together as you process (see picture above).
- Scoop up a bit of mixture and form into a round ball using your hands.
- Place on a plate or bowl and store in the fridge or freezer where they will keep well for 3-4 weeks.