Apple + Blueberry Crisp
This fruit crisp is a family favourite and one of the easiest and most delicious desserts in my repertoire… so much so that my 5 and 7 year old kids love making this . You can easily use a mix of apples and berries or stick to one or the other depending on what you have on hand. Naturally sweet from the fruit, this crisp packs a lot of naturally occurring fibre from the fruit and oats, while the chopped almonds add a great touch of crunch. Whether you serve it with yogurt or ice cream or on its own, this crisp is a healthy and delicious option for a cosy afternoon dessert.
Serves 4-6 people
- 900 gm (2 lbs) Bramley cooking apples (about 3-4 large apples)
- 1/2 cup fresh/frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cup oats (gluten free if needed)
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp honey/maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 160C (300F)
- Peel, core and chop apples into small chunks and place in a round baking tray. Once apples are done, add blueberries and scatter loosely with your hands
- In a separate bowl, combine oats, cinnamon, almonds, salt, coconut oil + honey and mix together with a spoon.
- Spoon the topping mixture evenly on top of the fruit and place in the oven.
- Bake for 30-40 mins until top is golden brown. Serve with your favourite yogurt or ice cream.