Healthy breakfasts and on-the-go snacks are by far the most requested recipes I get. So here you have it… Superfood Flapjacks. These are the perfect solution for busy mornings where there is little to no time for prepping breakfast. And they’re full of nutritious and satisfying whole foods that help set you up for a healthy start. I love having these on hand and they’re one of my favourite healthy alternatives when I feel like something sweet to go with my morning espresso.
Nutritionally these superfood flapjacks are super rich in fibre, which helps keep blood sugar levels healthy and stable while also promoting healthy digestion. They are also rich in protein and nourishing fats, a wide variety of essential minerals, including zinc and magnesium, as well as B vitamins, all of which are key for healthy energy production. Nutrients that are all ideal for getting you off to a good start in the morning.
Makes 12 bars
- 8-10 soft medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 300 ml organic quick oats
- ¼ cup (30gm / 1oz) almonds, sliced or chopped
- ¼ cup (30gm / 1oz) sunflower seeds
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup raisins or dark chocolate (optional!)
- Preheat oven to 160°C (300°F).
- Grease a square baking tray and line with non stick parchment paper (I used a 18 x 18cm (7×7″) tray).
- Combine 1 tbsp chia seeds with ¼ cup water, stir and set aside.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend together the soft medjool dates and coconut oil. As the chia seed mixture is thickening, add that to the dates and process until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, salt and dried fruit (if using) and mix well.
- Pour the smooth date mixture from the blender over the oat mix and combine well using a spoon. The dough should be thick and sticky.
- Scoop the mixture into the lined baking tray and spread out evenly using the back of a spoon/spatula. Drizzle with sesame seeds and press down using the spatula so they stay put.
- Place tray in a preheated oven and bake for 25-35 mins, until golden brown and firm.
- Remove from oven and remove from the baking tray to cool on a cooling rack. Cool completely before cutting into it.
- Once cooled, cut into squares and serve or store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
If you do not have a powerful high speed blender that can handle dates, you can substitute the 5 dates for ⅓-1/2 cup of maple syrup. Simply combine the maple syrup, coconut oil & egg whites using a spoon or handheld whisk.