Luxurious Natural BODY BUTTER
Shea butter is an incredible moisturiser and is completely natural and full of toxic free benefits. Our skin is our body’s largest organ and readily absorbs what we put on it – yet skincare is often overlooked when it comes to our health. When you look at the ingredients in your average body moisturiser, you’ll be amazed at how many toxic ingredients, such as perfumes, parabens, and preservatives you’ll find. And the reality is, all those ingredients get absorbed, and end up on the inside, where they build up over time and can cause trouble. While the process of changing to more natural and environmentally conscious skincare products will take time, I always recommend starting with changing your body moisturiser. Partly because this is the largest surface area but also because it is the easiest thing to change as we don’t tend to be as particular about body moisturisers as we do make up and other facial care products.
Shea Butter is sourced from the seed of the Karite tree. Karite literally means “Tree of Life”. It has anti-inflammatory properties, protects against sunburn, aid in healing of minor cuts and abrasions and is incredibly moisturising. Shea butter is also perfectly edible – but not tasty so I don’t recommend trying. This shea body butter effectively locks in moisture and deposits its beneficial fatty acids deep into the skin, leaving it incredibly soft and healthy looking all day long. Shea is known to reduce the appearance of sun damage, stretch marks and scars, and over the years as I have handed out little tubs of this to several friends, the feedback has been amazing with some friends noticing diminished appearance of sun spots on their skin and stretch mark scars. It is also amazing for babies as a bottom balm that help prevent and treat nappy rash, and as a belly balm for pregnant mamas to keep the bump moisturised to prevent the formation of stretch marks. While genetic predisposition does play a big role in whether someone get stretch marks or not, proper moisturising is essential, as it helps improve skin elasticity.
Sweet Almond Oil is widely used in natural skincare products and is rich in vitamin E and A, both of which help maintain healthy skin. Almond oil also helps soothe irritated skin and is excellent for preventing signs of ageing by renewing skin cells and invigorating the skin, giving a fresh glow and more radiant complexion.
While the addition of essential oil is optional I love using essential oils in my skin care regimen and find they have made such a positive difference for me personally. Not only do they add amazing scents to skincare products, but they also have potent health and beauty benefits to offer when applied topically and added to products. Frankincense is revered for its ability to beautify and rejuvenate skin and prevent signs of ageing, while ylang ylang adds an incredible and exotic scent, acts as a natural preservative and also help promote healthy looking dewy skin.
- 200 gm unrefined raw shea butter
- 100 gm coconut oil (sweet almond, jojoba or olive oil can be used as well)
- 10 drops DoTerra frankincense essential oil (optional)
- 10 drops DoTerra ylang ylang essential oil (optional)
- Place the raw shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler over medium to high heat and leave to melt.
- Once completely melted, remove from the stove and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the almond and jojoba oil and combine well using a spoon.
- Place in the fridge for about two hours (or in the freezer for 20-30 mins until it becomes semi solid. The mixture should be harder but not completely hard.
- Using a kitchen mixer or a hand mixer (as pictured), whip the mixture well until it resembles a thick smooth cream and becomes white in colour. Add the vitamin E oil and essential oils of your choice and whip again.
- Transfer the whipped body butter to an air tight container. The body butter can be used straight away but will continue to set properly in the next 12 hours or so.
- Shelf life: 2-3 months